01 March 2006

glacial in the springtime

It's now March 1, and I discover that a realization of this fact has motivated me in a "oh my God, time keeps on slipping...slipping...slipping" sort of way. I've been making progress on a number of fronts, but at such a slow pace that in purely personal terms it seems more a defeat than a victory.

I should be doing more, completing more, accomplishing more.

Nicholls deadline is now only two damned months away, and the Austin contest deadline looms a mere two weeks beyond that, so I had better get my act together and start kicking copius ass if I hope to meet my pre-season goal of having TWO pieces ready for contest runs this year. I managed another 5 pages today on the initial draft of the still untitled rom-com, and I continue to mentally fiddle with tweaks and twiddles to LILYA, my odd war drama (odd in the sense that I'm not normally a war drama kind of writer).

And of course I look up and find that I am nipple-deep in other extraneous obligations and endeavors which all conspire to drag focus away from screenwriting yet which cannot be ignored or dismissed.

In truth, I think I like a faint whiff of impending possible doom, as it makes me focus a bit more, stay a little more heads-up with regard to all the crap I am always trying to juggle. When no deadlines loom, there's no overriding reason to care. But when the lip of the abyss starts to appear as an ever-approaching dark line across the horizon... well then, my pretties, GAME ON.
.
.
.
loin-girding B

4 comments:

Warren said...

I'm in the trenches with you as well, trying to finish a completely new script by May 1st so I'll have two for Nicholl. Good luck!

Chris Soth said...

Just DO something. You'll find it's impossible to DO the thing and worry that you're not doing the thing or even that you should be further along w/the thing at the same time. It'll be ok.

chris

Brett said...

I am doing something, Chris. I'm doing a triple load of somethings.

It's just that most of them are taking precedence over my own writing projects, leaving me in the ever-enjoyable position of being absolutely exhausted, stretched just past the fraying point, *and* increasingly "behind schedule" in terms of what I'd hoped to accomplish with the writing this year.

Not arguing—just 'splaining, man. We all make choices, and the way I triage my workload is likely different than the way you or someone else might. That's the down side to the whole "free will" thing.

Before the dream, there is duty.
.
.
.
B

Chris Soth said...

have to admit, i was talking more to ME than you - still, just a little bit of writing will ease a lot of pain.

chris