04 November 2007

tagged: a musical meme

So Shawna tagged me with a meme from Rhys, and I'm supposed to do something somehow relating to a song or something:
So here is your assignment for today, dear readers. Find a song that inspires you to write something, whether it gives you an idea for a script or just puts you into a better frame of mind. AND/OR (don't you love choices) peek into the lyrics and find a stanza that sums up the theme of whatever script you're working on. It's quite uncanny how the two circumstances go together.

If possible, post a video of the song to really get people into the mood. (Yep, I'm aware of the irony of using Internet clips during the pissing contest. I like irony as much as bitchiness.)

Then, send the assignment (by e-mail or posting to one of their blog entries) to 5 other writers to do.

This is an odd one for me, as I dunno that I even understand what's being requested. Am I to list some song which consistently motivates me to write? or one which somehow fits my current mood? Or one that somehow fits some specific project?

Actually, there's a song that's in high rotation in my iTunes list which fits all three requirements: it always makes me smile and start bouncing in a happy "let's do some shit" sort of mood, it fits my current mood (kamikaze-like determination), and it fits a specific project I have been fiddling with in the background (an 80s-ra college comedy).

So, with all that in mind, I give you Bon and Angus and all the boys, along with surely the greatest bagpipe line in hard rockin' history:



Yeah, call me childish, but there's just something too damned irrepressibly cool about that old AC/DC song, and it nicely sums up the chase for screenwriting gold:
"Ridin' down the highway
Goin' to a show
Stop in all the byways
Playin' rock 'n' roll
Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took
I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks

It's a long way... to the top... if ya wanna rock and roll!"

Fuckin ay, man.

And now, I hereby oh-ficially tag

Emily, of Whiteboard Markers
Jamie, of Please Check Your Dignity at the Door
Ryan, of Holy Embers of Dreams
Pooks, of Planet Pooks
Adam, of One Slack Martian
.
.
.
B

3 comments:

Rhys said...

Hell yeah! Awesome post and video. I officially picked "Long Way To The Top" as part of my Top Ten forever list long ago, and recently posted it as one of those songs you just HAVE to sing along to. Sweet.

MaryAn Batchellor said...

Nutshell.

Adam Renfro said...

You penis!

Okay, I'm on it.

(Oh, man, I could've used a better choice of words there, but I'm leaving it.)